VFW Post 9877
Amherst, Virginia

Come join our wonderful Post alongside your fellow Amherst and local area veterans.  Simply complete an application form and bring it with you to one of our meetings held at 7pm the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Amherst library.   Or, download an application form below and mail it to the address at bottom of the form with a check for the first year's membership fee of $25.00 along with a copy of your DD Form 214, Record of Separation.  It will be used as required to verify your qualifications to belong to the most elite veterans organization in America where you will find that missing comradre experienced during your time in uniform, feel a renewed sense of pride in once again serving your country and most important of all you will help us help our fellow veterans.

Checking eligibility is comparatively simple and a link to a chart is provided on our Post webpage. Assuming that a person is a United States citizen and has an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces, it only remains to be proven that the person served outside the continental limits of the U.S. and has earned a campaign or service medal recognized by the VFW as meeting the campaign medal requisite for VFW Membership. (The only exception is for service in Korea after June 30, 1949, until present.) Discharges issued during and immediately after the close of World War II have a section on the back listing the medals and decorations which have been earned. Persons discharged later received a DD-214, "Report of Separation" form, which has a space showing medals and decorations. Lost separation documents can be replaced by completing and submitting GSA Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining to Military Records". There is always a possibility of an omission on the separation documents. If an applicant claims entitlement to a medal which is not shown on the individual's separation papers, that person may request verification and correction of records by submitting a GSA Standard Form 180. The GSA Standard Form 180 is available from any office of the Veterans Administration or state Veterans Departments. The form must be completed and signed by the veteran in order to receive the information requested or authorize the release of the information to the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Click on the VFW flag below to view and print the Post application form.  You will need Adobe Reader to view the form.  If you do not have this free program, click on the Adobe icon below to obtain the program.

If you have any questions, email us at webmaster@veteranspage.com